Friday, August 24, 2007

Booking SummerSlam

The "biggest party of the summer" is here and this is just a quick look at how I'd book it.

1. Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero
I think they're actually making a mistake by having both Triple H and Rey coming back at the same show, especially since Triple H is getting all the attention (no surprise). Truth is, Smackdown misses Rey and of course he's going to win this match. Plus, if this is the opener, this will have been an opener two years in a row.

Winner: Rey Mysterio via pin
Time: 10-15 minutes
Predicted Rating: 3 (out of 5)

2. Finlay vs. Kane
This one most likely will be ugly, so I think putting it second would be a good move. Finlay is able to pull off good matches against big men, so it could be better than expected. I expect this to go to a DQ ending of some sort, but this is me booking and I'd have Finlay go over here via a cheap victory.

Winner: Finlay via pin
Time: 5-10 minutes
Predicted Rating: 1.25 (out of 5)

3. Divas Battle Royal
This is just there for the T&A factor and it could be watchable if kept short. I remember they did something similar on Raw and it was a fun match. Hopefully lightning can strike twice. I say put Beth Phoenix over and instantly insert her in a feud with Mickie James once she wins the belt.

Winner: Beth Phoenix
Time: 5-10 minutes
Predicted Rating: .5 (out of 5)

4. John Morrison vs. CM Punk
I doubt this match will be this late in the card (I'm thinking probably either match 1 or 2), but I think the crowd seems to be getting into this feud a little more. I definitely would have Punk go over here because there are way more heels than there are faces in the thin roster that is ECW.

Winner: CM Punk via pin
Time: 10-15 minutes
Predicted Rating: 3.25 (out of 5)

5. Carlito vs. Umaga vs. Mr. Kennedy
In theory, Carlito probably should go over, but I think Mr. Kennedy would elevate the title (and his career) the most by winning this match. I'm not quite sure how the crowd will react to these guys, as essentially all three of them are heels. You can still keep Umaga as a monster by having Kennedy pin Carlito, and that really wouldn't hurt Carlito's career much either.

Winner: Mr. Kennedy via pin
Time: 10-15 minutes
Predicted Rating: 3 (out of 5)

6. Triple H vs. King Booker
These guys had an underrated match at WrestleMania XIX, but they were also about 4 years younger. However, the crowd should be way into this, and even though this will probably be the second to last match, I still believe that the Smackdown title match should be second to last. There's no way Triple H will lose this, but I think it'd be a great angle if he did, but I'd still book Triple H going over.

Winner: Triple H via pin
Time: 15-20 minutes
Predicted Rating: 2.75 (out of 5)

7. Batista vs. Great Khali
Smackdown is definitely weak right now, but I think they've done a great job of making Khali look like a monster. I am not a fan of either of these guys, but for right now, these guys are going to have to have at least one more pay-per-view match. I think by having Khali win would keep his momentum and stack up the odds against Batista. Then I'd have Batista win at Unforgiven.

Winner: Great Khali via pin
Time: 5-10 minutes
Predicted Rating: .25 (out of 5)

8. Randy Orton vs. John Cena
I think the world is expecting John Cena to drop the belt here, but I'm still not quite sure. I think by having Cena lose wouldn't hurt him and would definitely help Orton's long term career. He has been red hot as of late and very convincing as a mega heel. Let's hope he has his head on straight this time.

Winner: Randy Orton via pin
Time: 20-25 mintues
Predicted Rating: 4 (out of 5)

Overall: Well this show would have been a lot better on paper with the Hardy/MVP and Umaga/Hardy rematches, but it is what it is. Two big returns plus a good main event should make for watchable pay-per-view. It probably won't be the best show of the year, but I highly doubt it will be at the bottom.

Time: 80-120 minutes
Average Predicted Rating: 2.25 (out of 5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counters
Free Site Counters