Sunday, August 20, 2006

Top Soundtrack Songs

There is nothing that has a more profound impact on the emotional effect of a movie than its soundtrack. A well-crafted soundtrack serves to supplement the images of the movie with songs that create in the viewer a more poignant experience. This was only re-inforced when I saw Little Miss Sunshine this weekend. I enjoyed the movie immensely, with its perfectly selected cast and smart writing, but this post is about soundtracks. And to me, the most important song of the soundtrack is the last track, played at the denouement, and leaving an impression on the viewers as they head down the aisles. So here is my top five list of best songs to end movies:

5. Fight Club- The Pixies, "Where is my mind?"
A phenomenal song in its own right, "Where is my mind?" was a perfect fit for the ending of the movie when (SPOILER ALERT!) Edward Norton's character shoots himself to kill the alter ego his subconscious had created, Tyler Durden. This song furthered the ambience of the movie in which reality is shaken.

4. The Squid and the Whale- Lou Reed, "Street Hassle"
I will admit, I had not heard this Lou Reed classic until I heard it at the conclusion of my arthouse choice of the year, The Squid and the Whale. Overall, a powerful soundtrack, and the slightly repetitive "Street Hassle" provided a harmonious ending.

3. Little Miss Sunshine- DeVotchka, "How It Ends"
You didn't think I would spend all this time talking about my new favorite movie without including it in this category, did you? LMS' soundtrack tone is consistent throughout (with the exception of Rick James' "Superfreak"), and DeVotchka provides manygreat songs, with this six minute opus being the best of the bunch.

2. The Life Aquatic- David Bowie, "Queen Bitch"
This song was a triumphant finish to a quirky movie that included numerous Bowie covers in Portugese. I was left very satisfied watching all the main characters defiantly strut down the sidewalk with this tune blaring.

1. Donnie Darko- Gary Jules, "Mad World"
An extremely sad song for an extremely sad ending of a movie, this song fit the scene perfectly at the end of Donnie Darko. There is a reason this movie has achieved such esteemed cult status, and the soundtrack did its part.

Honorable Mention: The Breakfast Club- Simple Minds, "Don't You (Forget About Me)", Garden State- Frou Frou, "Let Go",
Rushmore- The Faces, "Ooh La La"
There are a probably a number of classic songs at the end of movies that I left out, but this merely my favorites of the moment, and that is what the comment section is for.

2 Comments:

At August 26, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger Nick Meador said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At August 26, 2006 10:49 PM, Blogger Nick Meador said...

I beg to differ on the selection from The Life Aquatic. My favorite musical moment (besides every time Seu Jorge performs) is when Bowie's "Life On Mars?" comes on towards the beginning of the film, as Zissou is confronted by his long ignored son. My other favorite moment was when Zissou takes on the pirates to Iggy Pop's "Search and Destroy." There was too much good music in that film though, especially with Mark Mothersbaugh being involved.

Little Miss Sunshine was amazing. I don't know that song...I'll have to look it up. I just recall the Sufjan Steven's track "Chicago" when they first start driving. That's one of my favorite road songs ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counters
Free Site Counters