Thursday, May 11, 2006

Summer Movie Preview

Sorry for the lack of posts as of late. I've been really busy selling coupon books door-to-door. I planned on having this article up before Mission:Impossible 3 came out to theatres, so it's a little late, but it still should work out okay. These, my friends, are my top 10 movies to see this summer.

10. You, Me, And Dupree
This movie kind of falls into the sleeper role. You take the best characters from Almost Famous and There's Something About Mary (Kate Hudson and Matt Dillon) and mix them with odd-ball Owen Wilson, and you should have yourself a laugh out loud picture. However, the trailer I did see was a little weak. Was this a case of the studio holding back thinking they can bank on Wilson's recent success? Or is this movie going to be a bomb? We shall find out.

9. The Da Vinci Code
Those who know me know that I am not a big Tom Hanks fan. He is a good actor, but typically I don't have much interest in the films he chooses. Those who know me also that I don't read much, not even a book as popular as The Da Vinci Code. But knowing that Ron Howard is involved, I find it hard to beleive that this movie will be anything worse than average, and it will save me from reading once again.

8. The Break Up
Last summer, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were able to make millions on Mr. and Mrs. Smith despite it looking absolutely horrible. Well this movie actually looks like it could be entertaining for both sexes, a rarity for a romantic comedy. Vince Vaughn is on a role and Jennifer Aniston is usually successful when she has a reliable star to lean on.

7. Beerfest
Being that I was the only person who enjoyed Club Dread, I am probably one of the few people who would have this movie in the top 10. However, I have faith in the Broken Lizard troupe to give us another stupid comedy that somehow finds a way to be entertaining. Will anyone see it? Probably not.

6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
The first Pirate movie is one of the few action/adventure movies I have ever liked. Johnny Depp finally got some box office respect and the movie grossed a billion despite it looking like a total bomb. With a third Pirate's movie on it's way shortly, they better have made sure this one is even better to hold the audience's attention.

5. Little Miss Sunshine
This movie was the big comedy hit at Sundance and should be able to bring in a decent amount of cash thanks to the recent success of the hilarious Steve Carrell. The reason this movie intrigues me even more is due to the very underrated Greg Kinnear being involved. Kinnear is often golden in his performances, even if I'm the only one who thinks so.

4. Nacho Libre
My friends have been saying that this movie "looks stupid". Well the man who wrote/directed Napoleon Dynamite is the same man who is doing this film, so I wouldn't expect anything less. Jack Black is as funny of an actor out there, and the premise looks fresh and potentially hilarious.

3. Cars
Pixar is probably the most consistent company when it comes to movies. I have never left one of their films and been disappointed. The trailer is admittedly weak for this film, but I'm almost positive this will be another wonderful computer animated delight.

2. Clerks 2
I never thought I'd see the day that there would be another Clerks film. I expect this to be Kevin Smith's dirtiest film to date after his lighter Jersey Girl, and that's saying something. Stephen King recently said that he thought this movie would be a summer bomb, but I don't think it's a movie that anyone expects to make $100 million, I think they're going more for a $20-40 million dollar gross, which would not be a bomb at all.

1. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
The team from Anchorman (one of my favorite movies) is back, this time taking a jab at professional racecar driving (my least favorite "sport"). For me, just knowing that, I'm already there. I obviously have very high expectations for this film, but I have a gut feeling that it just might live up to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counters
Free Site Counters