Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hockey Championship Review

Since the Tool Box was gracious enough to hire me I figure I must start earning my money (all $0). However, I feel like I should post once in awhile unlike another member I will call mcfrostee7, just kidding Mike. Since I am the “sports” person of the Tool Box, I will give my recap of yesterday’s big showdown between FSA and the Mercury Grinders. Before I get to the game, I want to give a quick shout out to the following people:

Brandon Tessoff: For coming to the game and the bar afterwards, even though he was clearly very tired and does not drink. Brandon was ballsy enough to paint his chest and stood the entire game showing his undying support for the Mercury Grinders. He is not a big fan of hockey, however he is a great friend and an even better person who came and showed his support regardless. I hope that Brandon’s big day on Sunday goes better then mine did.

Chris Hoelscher: For coming to the game and bar afterwards. It took no convincing Chris to come to the bar afterwards as he is always up for a good time, especially when there is beer involved. I clearly mean that in the best way possible. Chris also made an amazing championship banner that unfortunately has no use for the Grinders. Like Brandon, Chris was ballsy enough to paint his chest and stand for the whole game, even when the Grinders were getting shellacked. Chris also does not like hockey, but is a good friend and person who supported the team anyways. I do apologize for waking him up at 6:20 in the morning on Saturday. It was clearly a brutal move on my part.

Lori Cooper: She could be biggest Grinders fan around. She is at almost every game, even the 11:45 games showing her support for her favorite player Justin Carmichael. The trend continues as Lori does not like hockey as well, but she still came to the championship game, and the bar afterwards. Lori is a super person and will make a great teacher, and I hope she keeps coming to future games.

Michelle Jaworski: Michelle was generous enough to come to the game and bar as well. Like all the others she is not a big fan of hockey(I sense a trend, maybe that’s why the NHL went on strike), however she still made it out to multiple games this year, and was very supportive of the teams effort even though we played brutal last night. She is clearly by far one of the nicest people I know, and with out question the best CARE supervisor around.

Joe Serra: This was his first Grinders game of the year, and unfortunately he picked a brutal one to attend. However it was great to have him in attendance as he informed me of what was taking place in the stands and how my game could possibly be improved. Joe actually kind of likes hockey, as he has been wearing his Team Sweden jersey with pride of late. Besides coming to the game Joe made it out to the bar as well afterwards, even though he has a huge elementary education test today. I wish Joe the best of luck on that test, and I clearly know he will do a phenomenal job on his test, unlike his brutal bracket.

Maria Buscemi: No relation to the Great Steve Busecemi. This was also her first Grinders game of the season. It may have been her first hockey game ever. I still do not know why she came (actually I think I do, but not going to say anything so I don’t get clipped) as she does not like hockey but I guess she is a very supportive friend. She is going to be an outstanding teacher, and it’s been great getting to know her this year. For the few of you who do not know, she’s having a birthday party at Boogy Fever next Saturday. It was clearly a generous move on her part coming to the game and bar afterwards. The Grinders hope she will come to more in the future.

Kristin Zajak: I hope I spelled her last name right, I’m sure I did not and apologize if it’s incorrect. Like Maria, I have no clue why she came, but very appreciative that she did. She came to the game and the bar, even though she had a huge elementary test on Saturday, and also does not like hockey. Unlike the Grinders, she will not perform brutal on her test, and ultimately she will clearly do a phenomenal job on the test. Kristin is an outstanding person and one of the best dancers I have ever seen, and its been great getting to know her this yr. The Grinders were extremely grateful to have her in attendance, and hope she is back for more games in the future. Although it would be totally understandable if she never came again after last night’s brutal performance.

Grinders bEATEN Again in Title Game
By Dave Distelrath

Troy, MI---For the third consecutive year the Mercury Grinders had an unbelievable regular season, and for the third straight year they came up empty when it counted most. This time the Grinders were thoroughly overmatched and outplayed by FSA in the C- Adult League Championship on Friday night at the Troy Sports Center.
The final score was 7-1 and it may not have been that close
“We worked so hard to get to this game. I really thought this was going to be the year. It hurts a lot, said a dejected captain Justin Carmichael. Take nothing away from them, they played a great game. We made mistakes, and they capitalized on them. However, I think we came out a little flat early on and that’s inexcusable at this level, with so much ridding on this game.”
FSA was clearly the aggressor of the two teams, as they scored two goals in the first five minutes, and never looked back. The first came on a one timer right in front of Grinder goalie Shane Smokoski. The second came on a scramble in front of the net.
“We have a lot of respect for that club in that locker room. They were Regular Season Champions, but each game we played them was decided by only one goal. We played a phenomenal game, and deserved to win. I am really proud of our team,” said FSA captain Dog “the bounty” Hunter.
Even the return of forward Dave Distelrath who played with a metal spike in his shoulder, could not do anything to slow down FSA. Distelrath brought some energy and passion with him in his first game back since he broke his collarbone back in early January against CCCP. Although he was able to register an assist on a lovely pass to Troy Fischer for the Grinders only tally, he was hesitant on the ice, and he himself was disappointed in his play
“As great as it was to be back on the ice, it really hurts to have the outcome that we did. We did not show up tonight, we have no business losing by six goals in a championship game. We let our fans down, and most importantly we let our selves down. I am a goal scorer, I need to score, and I should have had at least two tonight. It was downright brutal,” said Distelrath.
It seemed that every time the Grinders seem to build momentum, FSA would quickly end any hope by scoring another goal. After the second period it was 6-1, and for all purposes it was over. FSA out shot the Grinders 23-10, but many of the Grinders chances came from the point, not in the prime scoring areas.
“They played as a team, we did not. We hung our goaltender out to dry on many occasions. He had no chance on them. He made some big saves, but we did not pick him up on the offensive end, said All Star defenseman Marc Granger. I can’t question the effort of the team because it was clearly evident we were trying. Unfortunately we just could not execute. They got two early goals and took us out of our game. Hockey is measured by results, and we did not get any positive results tonight. We had a great year but came up short again. It’s a tough pill to swallow but hopefully a good learning experience for us.”
The pain on the Grinders face was evident by all, but could really be seen on veteran defenseman Dave Browning’s face after the game as he was near tears.
“In my 17 years of playing hockey, I have never played with a better group of guys. They care about each other so much, put individual statistics on hold, and focus on the team. I do not know how many years I have left in me, and who knows if we will reach this game again. This is absolutely frustrating. We overcame injuries and suspensions, and I thought this was our time. I really do not know what to tell you.”
After overcoming all the adversity the Grinders could not get it done when it mattered most, and they will have another off season to reflect on what could have been.

1 Comments:

At April 01, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the local sports coverage . . . keep up the good work!

--Paul Ysenbart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counters
Free Site Counters